I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t love working out. And while I’m being honest, I don’t really like the word exercise. And I detest the idea of going to a gym or health club. I think it’s just the idea of having to go somewhere and do something that is so unappealing.
But whether you think the health clubs is a great idea or a complete waste of money, the fact is, we all need to exercise. We need to move more.
For me the key to success is to keep it interesting. So I like to mix up my physical activities and not just spend time doing a traditional workout in a health club.
Here are 4 quick ways to add more exercise to your day – without going to the health club:
- Always take the stairs. I know this sounds pretty basic but it’s a great place to start. I take the stairs whenever I can.
- When you are faced with an elevator – take the stairs.
- When you have an escalator – take the stairs. One great benefit, aside from heath wise, is that these options are usually less used and you will have them all to yourself.
- During your break at work, get up and go up and down the stairs once just for fun.
- Walk when you can. Another obvious one. Okay, but here are some ideas.
- Walk to the grocery store if it is close enough and you just need a few things. Or think about reducing your list and making multiple trips.
- Walk to the nearest post office box to mail your letters instead of putting them in your outgoing mail box.
- Walk to the bathroom on the other end of the building.
- Park at the far end of the parking lot.
- Get off public transportation a stop or two before your stop and walk the rest of the way.
- Walk the dog or just go for a walk in the evening after dinner.
- Stand up. Studies state that sitting for extended periods of time is so very back for us. So, stand up! Also, standing burns about 50 percent more calories than sitting (a 15lb person can burn as many as 50 more calories per hour).
- Set an alarm on your smartphone to remind you once an hour to stand up and move around for a few minutes.
- While riding public transportation you can stand up instead of sitting down.
- Make it a habit to stand up when you are talking on the phone.
- Put your shoes on (and take them off) while standing up. (Bonus! This is great for your balance, too!)
- Burn calories while you relax. I know we all love our Netflix but you can actually burn a few extra calories by simply adding some light activity to your down time. While watching TV, use this time to:
- Fold laundry
- Do some light dusting
- Make a quick sweep of the floor
- Do some light stretching
- Organize your closet
I’m sure that there are other things we could add to this list. But these are just a few easy and unexpected ways that you can ease yourself into exercising. And see, you don’t need to go to a gym! Just start with one or a few of these ideas and you’ll find that it is easy to get a little more exercise every day.